Disney has announced a list of new live action films to be started by the prestigious studio! Walt Disney Studios’ newly adapted practice of remaking/re-imagining properties from its animated filmography into live-action/CGI movies has proven quite lucrative to date, as illustrated by the strong box office performances of Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella and most recently The Jungle Book. Similar to how the Disney-owned Lucasfilm and Marvel Studio have their own film release slates planned out years ahead, the Mouse House has claimed multiple dates for its live-action films on through to 2019 to offset the release of the company’s in-studio original animated films, as well as upcoming Pixar animated movies, Lucasfilm’s Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies, and Marvel’s superhero tentpoles/comic book film adaptations.
Here are the live-action films that Disney has confirmed are moving forward – a collection of titles that includes sequels, remakes of animated films, and other IP adaptations alike:
- The Jungle Book 2, a sequel to the hit currently playing in theaters. Jungle Book director Jon Favreau and screenwriter Justin Marks will also work on the followup.
- Maleficent 2, a sequel to the 2014 Sleeping Beauty re-telling. Angelina Jolie will reprise as the eponymous character, withMaleficent screenwriter Linda Woolverton penning the script.
- A Wrinkle in Time, the adaptation of the Madeleine L’Engle fantasy novel being written by Jennifer Lee (Frozen) and directed by Ava DuVernay (Selma).
- Cruella, a Cruella de Vil-centered film starring Emma Stone (as the movie’s namesake) and scripted by Saving Mr. Banks co-writer Kelly Marcel.
- Jungle Cruise, a film adaptation of the popular Disney theme park attraction that has Dwayne Johnson attached to star, with Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (Crazy, Stupid, Love; Focus) writing the script.
- Dumbo, a live-action adaptation of the Disney animated film that Tim Burton will direct, based on a script by Ehren Kruger (The Brothers Grimm, Transformers 3 & 4).
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, a re-telling of The Nutcracker fairy tale that is being directed by Lasse Hallström (Chocolate, The Hundred-Foot Journey) and written by relative newcomer Ashleigh Powell.
- A Tinker Bell movie, starring Reeese Witherspoon as the famous Peter Pan pixie and penned by Finding Dory co-writer Victoria Strouse.
- Mary Poppins 2, a sequel set to star Emily Blunt and Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda, with Rob Marshall (Chicago, Into the Woods) directing.
Which excites you the most?