John Wick was fun, smashing and a mad-cap action riot. A film which hardly had any buzz was a smash hit with both the critics and audience alike. Not surprisingly, a sequel was planned and suddenly, the Keanu Reeves starrer has become a movie series to reckon with!
In this next chapter following the 2014 hit, legendary hitman John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is forced back out of retirement by a former associate plotting to seize control of a shadowy international assassins’ guild. Bound by a blood oath to help him, John travels to Rome where he squares off against some of the world’s deadliest killers.
The movie is releasing alongside big players like Batman:Lego Movie and Fifty Shades Darker, but is still creating some solid buzz. Let us see what do the reviews say about the actioner sequel. Does it match the acclaim of the first part?!
1. The John Wick movies accomplish what Hong Kong action flicks did a quarter-century ago, seducing bloodthirsty (predominately male) audiences into appreciating an exquisitely choreographed modern ballet. – Variety (Thumbs Up)
2. Nitpicks aside, this is one stylish, gorgeous, well-acted, and creative action spectacular. – Forbes (Thumbs Up)
3. The idea of a secret world of professional killers adhering to a set of civilized conventions may sound absurd, but it’s what makes the Wickverse more intriguing and far richer than the usual numbskull orgy of cinematic nihilism. – Entertainment Weekly (Thumbs Up)
4. If you enjoy relentless bouts of gun-fu and Reeves at his taciturn best, then this is the follow-up for you. – China Morning Post (Thumbs Up)
5. Once again, Reeves does not disappoint, fully inhabiting Wick by channeling his rage over life’s injustices into an intensely focused performance. – Hollywood Reporter (Thumbs Up)
6. As relentless, eager-to-please genre filmmaking goes, it marks the rare occasion where too much of a good thing is just good enough. – IndieWire (Thumbs Up)
7. Sit back and enjoy the stunts, the speed, the style. – TimeOut (Thumbs Up)
8. A brutal, bruising bullet ballet of a sequel that builds upon the promise of the original. – Empire (Thumbs Up)
9. This new film doesn’t have the emotional grounding of the original, and it probably dwells too long explaining things we never cared about. But it’s still a visceral, cathartic and — most important — gorgeous two hours of kinetic, poetic bloodshed. – Village Voice (Thumbs Up)
10. If you loved the original movie, you might not care so much about being given warmed-over seconds. Otherwise, this Wick has burned itself out. – New York Daily News (Thumbs Down)
Unanimous acclaim it seems! The John Wick team seems to have struck again! Cannot wait for it, can you?
John Wick : Chapter 2 releases 10th February in USA and 17th February in India.