John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (also known as John Wick: Chapter 3 or simply John Wick 3) is a 2019 American neo-noir action film starring Keanu Reeves as the titular character in the third installment in the John Wick film series
The film is directed by Chad Stahelski and written by Derek Kolstad, Shay Hatten, Chris Collins, and Marc Abrams, based on a story by Kolstad. It also stars Halle Berry, Laurence Fishburne, Mark Dacascos, Asia Kate Dillon, Lance Reddick, Anjelica Huston, and Ian McShane
In the film, ex-hitman John Wick finds himself on the run from legions of assassins after a $14 million contract is put on his head.
For those of you who are watching this for the first time, the one liner mentioned above is the plot.
But it would make sense to visit Chapters 1 and 2 to comprehend the origin of the mayhem on display here
Now, let’s figure out if this Chapter is worth our time?
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum definitely is!
Right from the opening sequence, the makers take it for granted that their audiences are clued in to this Wickiverse
Stahelski devotes the entire narrative to put us right in the middle of action as we see Wick running against time to ensure Survival
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum is simply devoted to one thing: John’s Survival
So knowing this wafer thin story-line, What works?
The 2 things this franchise is known for:
- The action set pieces are a treat and will definitely put you on the edge of your seat
- The remarkable thing about these deftly executed sequences is when they make you exclaim:
How the fuck do you pull these off?
- These are what make a good action movie stick
- The Adrenaline, Energy, Violence, Spontaneity are enough to keep you cursing every time Wick survives
Let’s talk about the other reason:
- Keanu Reeves – This Actor has owned the franchise like it’s no one else’s business
- John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum becomes unique because of him
- He ensures we remember the character long after the ride has ended
- Not because Baba Yaga fights so well, but even his Quirks are on complete display
I would like to point out a sequence out here:
- Right at the start of the movie, our Wick ends up killing a hitman using only a Book
- However, this is not what sets this scene apart.
- The treat is to see that the book goes back exactly in the place it belonged to
- These small details that make the character meticulous in his job is what gives us the kick
Anything else that works?
- Halle Berry in a short role along with her dogs are on fire when they are on screen
- The Dialogues are crisp and have dry sarcasm writ all over them
- It’s even more delightful when Reeves is spouting some of these
- The Cinematography by Dan Laustsen is trippy as it captures New York in all it’s hues and Morocco in all it’s vibrancy
- The Fight Sequences, most of which are devised by Stahelski himself are powerful adding to the overall impact of the film
- The performances from the relative cast are to the point and well enacted
- A special mention goes to Yayan, Cecep for their sequence with Reeves
- It”s refreshing to see Dacascos on screen after a LONG TIME. He is still EDGY and lends EFFECT
Anything that doesn’t work?
Some minor quibbles:
- Considering he travels all the way to Morocco and back for his survival, my expectation of this encounter with the Elder was to be UNIQUE
- But when it actually happens, you will be like Bleh! Whatever
- Another character that sticks like a sore thumb is The Adjudicator(Asia Kate Dillon)
- Considering the power wielded by this one, I expected a grand showdown but ALAS!
- The Indian Censor Board folks are truly a bunch of buffoons for still sticking to Archaic guidelines when it comes to snipping out scenes
- The snipping of these scenes rob us off the enjoyment to see Wick go the whole 9 yards while killing
- John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum deserves a viewing on the big screen
- As is the wont, we are not done with this Wickiverse
- It is appeasing to know that we will have more of these
- True Blue Action Movies ought to be made like this
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum is A SHEER and VISCERAL PIECE of MIND POUNDING ACTION!