It is a police-based thriller written by Sudip Sharma.
It deals with a story about a down and out cop who lands the case of an assassination attempt gone wrong.
That statement above sums up the premise of this show in a Nut Shell
Anushka Sharma once again backs topical content after having made her Production Debut with NH10
So, What Makes this one Tick?
Let’s Find Out!
What Doesn’t Work?
- There is absolutely, and I repeat, there is absolutely nothing that doesn’t work here
- The only grouse I could think of is the series employs the narrative of a slow burn thriller
- But, it could feel this way only because certain people are impatient with their thrillers
- For Audiences that are used to this technique, also know that the pay off for this kind of narrative is hugely rewarding
So, What Works?
- Right from the concept to the script and down to the screenplay, this series is a Visual and Aural Delight
- I would like to believe Anushka Sharma and Amazon Prime have hit bull’s eye with the creation of this series
- The Opening Sequence sets the tone for what’s about to follow
- It just touches upon concepts of the Swarag, Dharti & Paatal(The 3 Lok’s) and then drifts away
- It then sucks us into mundane police work of responding to trivial complaints(petty domestic disturbances)
- It is enough to give perspective of the listless work our police force is also subjected to from time to time
- Once we are introduced to the Pitch, the Major Characters and their lives, that’s when the Thrill and the emergence of a plot kick in
- This Thrill livens things up when we find our Pivotal Characters(Jaideep Ahlawat & Ishwak Singh) getting assigned with a case for Conspiracy to Murder and the accused stationed at their Police Chowki
The Screen Play, Script & It’s Narrative Technique Work Wonders
- This is where the actual plot, it’s back stories and all the threads that tie in together are now there for the Unravelling
- From here on, every episode of Paatal Lok keeps adding layers to the Actual Plot and brings about a reveal with every Episode
- There are subplots that feel non-essential, however by the time you reach the finale all of them tie in to the Central Theme
- The Series smartly employs metaphors and allegories at every instance possible
- These Metaphors exist to show us a reflection of Society in today’s times
- It truly is a Resounding Slap to our faces
- This slap reminds us that we are yet to get over these aspects of Hell that exist within Dharti Lok
- Through certain characters, situations and scenarios prevalent evils like Caste/Religion Discrimination, Child/Girl Abuse, Power/Corruption are portrayed through strong images
- At times, the screen play goes out right to display certain evils just the way they exist
- Even if the imagery is not explicit, it is sufficient to make us think
- The Script is devised in a manner that when the series ends, it’s TRULY SIMPLE
- It was right there in front of our eyes, however we were busy looking at other red herrings
- The Narrative is Pure Neo-Noir in Nature
This is no surprise considering Navdeep Singh(Script Consultant) is attached to this project
We still remember that he is responsible for one of the best Neo-Noir Thrillers in Indian Cinema
The Other Aspects of this Series?
- The Art Direction & Production Design(Vahi Shaikh & Mukund Gupta) respectively have done an immaculate job
- They have captured the feel, look and essence of the characters and their locales right down to the tee
- Right from the First Frame, you’re invested into the denizens of Delhi, Outer Jamna, Chitrakoot and neighboring areas as we progress
- The Back Ground Score(Naren Chandavarkar/Benedict Taylor) is gripping and doesn’t let go of your being when you’re invested in the proceedings on screen
- The Cinematography(Avinash Arun/Saurabh Goswami) capture the rugged terrain through earthy frames and keep sucking us deeper into the vortex of Paatal Lok
- Every Actor out here have nailed their performances
- Right from the one’s who are on the sidelines to the supporting crew, they bring alive this Nether World through their Savage Display of Vices
- Be it Jalota, Sharma, Basra, Choudhary or Khurana they are simply splendid during their screen time
Some who deserve a mention for their stellar supporting acts:
- Gul Panag
- Swastika Mukherjee
- Jagjeet Sandhu
- Ishwak Singh
- Mairembam Ronaldo Singh
- Niharika Lyra Dutt
- Akshay Sharma(A Chilling Voice Over)
Niharika and Mairembam are truly astounding with the meat they extract out of their roles
Finally, the 3 Major Pillars who make this Paatal Lok worth your while:
Abhishek Banerjee as Vishal “Hathoda” Tyagi hypnotises with his performance
- He demolishes the maxim: Actions Speak Louder Than Words
- His Expressions not only speak louder, they thunder right across your soul
- This Actor has the least amount of screen time, however milks his role for all it’s worth
- It’s a treat every time he appears on screen
Neeraj Kabi as Sanjeev Mehra, the Journalist traps you with a dilemma
- He takes you through the lows and highs of his character’s motivations
- At every turn, you see a different aspect of his personality
- It gives you a build up towards A Personality you want to Believe in
- As the story progresses, so does the character arc
- By the time, we have reached the finale you are lost
- The reason you are lost is because Kabi leaves you confused
- You have seen myriad aspects of his character
- And Now you are clueless. How do you root for him?
- What exactly are we supposed to root for? His Good, Bad or Ugly?
Jaideep Alhawat as Hathiram Chaudhary the Inspector who gets saddled with an opportunity
- This Actor truly nails the role of a Cop who’s almost past his Prime
- His Traits, His Twitches & Quirks are enough to for us to follow on with him in this journey
- He captures that stelly detrmination and desperation to not let go
- The conviction he portrays is the reason why we remain hooked
- That is exactly why when you reach the Finale, you will be amazed
- It kind of is meant to be a Payoff for Ahlawat’s Character and his Life
- This Son of A Gun won my Heart with his Ballsy Act!
By All Means, Paatal Lok calls for a Binge Watch
- Please Watch this one if you haven’t already
- It Compares right at the Top of the Finest Content in the Indian Streaming Scene Today
- I could fairly say it kind of one upped Sacred Games in it’s execution
Iss Paatal Lok Ki Yatra Karna Aavashyak Hai….
Go for It!
Hats off to Anushka Sharma & The Entire Crew for giving us one HELL of a RIDE!